Thursday, May 26, 2011

Don't ask me how . . . just ask me why!

Do you ever get tired of people asking you how you do it, when they find out you homeschool?

I wish they would just ask me why instead.

You see when you ask me how, I become overwhelmed with all that I do wife, mom, teacher, cook, laundress, nurse, maid, gardener, pet keeper, dental hygienist, manicurist, pedicurist, chauffeur, lego club leader, equestrian mom, plumber, handyman, curriculum assessor, grocery shopper,  . . . (i need to stop this is getting overwhelming. . .see I told you).

But when you ask me why, then I am reminded of why I made the choice to lead this crazy life.

I would be happy to go over the list of reasons why we homeschool.  (Note - "why we" - homeschooling works for us, that doesn't mean it's for everyone,. There are a lot of mom's out there who don't homeschool, and yet their list is longer than mine - I do get that.)

There are two reasons for why we homeschool that soar to the top of my list.

1) Several years ago my husband and I were in process to adopt a little boy.  After 18 months of loving, naming, and caring for him, the courts decided to move him into a different home.  We lost our baby.  It was on that day, when they loaded my baby in the car and pulled out of my driveway that I realized, we are not guaranteed tomorrow.  I only have this moment to spend with kids.  I only have today to tell them I love them.  I don't want to let them go eight hours a day for someone else to impart to them.  I want to be the one who does all the imparting.  I want them to know who I am, who their dad is, and how God allows us to be the people we are.

2) My young husband already has 23 years in with Chick-fil-A.  When you do the math you will see it is his first and only job (except for one experience that I will let him tell you about).  People eat chicken when they aren't in public school.  So holidays, breaks, and Saturdays are the times when he is guaranteed to work and work long hours.  Homeschooling allows my kids to spend lots of time with dad, that if they were in public school, it just wouldn't happen.  We school hard in the summer, at holidays, and yes even on Saturdays.  But we also go camping and spend lots of time with dad in the middle of September, the first of January, the second week of May, . . .you get the picture.

See it's true . . . I told you why we homeschool and here even as I type. . . I find myself excited and ready to tackle some more of my crazy life.

So now, it's your turn - Why do you homeschool?

Be ready to feel invigorated and ready to tackle at least on more of your crazy days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment