Friday, May 13, 2011

Sweet 16

16 is a milestone!!!!
No none of my children are 16 years old, yet.
I am talking about the 16 years I have been married to my wonderful husband.
In this day and time, I am proud of our 16 years.  Most of the people our age have not reached this milestone and many are on their second time around.  Has it been easy - NO!  Was it worth it - YES!

Yesterday, I visited a couple in our church who were both in the same hospital.  They were on the same floor just doors away from each other, but they had not seen each other in four days.  While speaking to the wife, she began to cry.  I asked her what was wrong and she said, I miss my husband.  He has been my husband and friend for 60 years and I don't like being away from him.  I asked some questions and made a way for them to see each other.  As I wheeled her into his room, they both lit up, they spoke to each other about this and that, but mostly they just enjoyed each others presence.  When they found out today was our anniversary and that we had been married 16 years - they both laughed - "only 16", they said, "you are still babies.  Wait until you have been married for 60 years."

I can't wait until I can say I have spent 60 years with my best friend.  But until then, I will do my best to make the most of each year.  I will strive to love him more, to understand him more, to be a better friend and wife.  And someday my sweet 16 milestone will seem like just a teenage memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment